The following has been tested and set up on Ubuntu 18.04
- Open up the terminal and type in the following commands:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install network-manager-l2tp sudo apt-get install network-manager-l2tp-gnome
2. Open Wifi Settings and press on “Network” on the left.
3. Press “+” on the right and choose “Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP)”
4. Type in the following information:
Name: VPN NMBU
User name: firstname.lastname@example.org
Password: Your password on NMBU’s services (You might have to press the questionmark and then choose “Store the password only for this user” if you cant type).
5. Press on “IPsec Settings”
6. Press “Enable IPsec tunnel to L2TP host” and type in the following information:
Pre-shared key: Type in your shared secret key here. You can find it on www.brukerdata.nmbu.no under personal on “Din VPN-nøkkel for L2TP kobling”
7. Press on “Advanced” and type in the following:
Phase1 Algorithms: 3des-sha1-modp1024
Phase2 Algorithms: 3des-sha1
8. Close IPsec Settings and go into PPP Settings
9. Press on “Use Point-to-Point encryption (MPPE)
10. Press on “OK” and then “Add”. The VPN should now be set up.